Infectious Diseases 2020

Infectious Diseases 2020

Japan: Avian influenza

5 November, 2020

On November 5, Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) announced that highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) had been detected on a layer operation in Mitoyo City, Kagawa on November 4. The operation will undergo cleaning and disinfection, resulting in the cull of approximately 330,000 layers. The announcement follows a confirmed detection of HPAI in wild duck droppings in Monbetsu, Hokkaido Prefecture on October 24.
This marks the first detection of HPAI in the commercial chicken population since January 2018 when HPAI was detected on a commercial operation in Sanuki City, Kagawa Prefecture. That detection resulted in the cull of 90,000 head. In 2019, Kagawa prefecture accounted for three percent of Japan’s layer population and two percent of the broiler population. Japan’s total chicken population was estimated at 323 million (138 million broilers, 185 million layers). Domestic production accounts for around 62 percent of Japan’s chicken supply with the remaining 38 percent comprised of imports primarily from Brazil and Thailand.