What's New ? - 2019

What's New ? - 2019

Poultry production in South Africa

GAIN Report No. SA1926 20 September, 2019

Recently, the South African broiler industry had been under considerable pressure due the devastating drought, the outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza (H5N8) and a Listeriosis food scare. However, in 2018, the broiler industry recovered, increasing production by 6 percent to a record of 983 million broilers slaughtered. The broiler industry is the country’s largest individual agricultural industry boasting a gross value of about R47 billion (US$3 billion) and contributing about 17 percent to the total gross value of agricultural products.
Commercial broiler meat production accounts for approximately 90 percent of the chicken meat industry in South Africa, with the remaining 10 percent comprising of subsistence farming production and depleted flock. The 983 million broilers slaughtered in 2018 equaled 1.27 million tons of chicken meat (excluding offal). If depleted flock and subsistence farming production is added, South Africa’s total chicken meat production for 2018 is calculated at 1.41 million tons, a 5 percent increase from the previous year. Post, however, expects a 1 percent decrease in chicken meat production in 2019 to 1.40 million tons. Feed input costs increased considerably in 2019 on higher corn prices due to unfavorable weather conditions. In addition, constrained consumer demand and an expected decrease in exports are putting downward pressure on producer prices leading to an under recovery of higher input costs. As a result, broiler producers are expected to reduce production to 970 million broilers slaughtered in 2019.
In 2020, chicken meat production is projected to increase by 2 percent to reach 1.42 million tons.